Meat pie is a popular Ghanaian snack. It can be filled with beef, corned beef, meat, fish with other ingredients.
Meat pie can be served during birthdays, outdooring, wedding ceremonies and other occasions. It is one of the popular launch snacks enjoyed by Ghanaians.
In this recipe, I am going to give you the complete steps on how to make meat pie at home with ease.
Summary of recipe
- Ingredients to prepare Ghana meat pie
- Steps to prepare meat pie
- And a lot more
Do spare me with 15 minutes of your time as I take you through this amazing recipe.
It is best served with the following drinks:
- Ice Kenkey
- And a lot more
Ingredients to prepare meat pie.
Note: ingredients for the meat pie filling may vary from one cook to the other. It is therefore prudent that you choose the ingredients based on your preference.
- Egg beater (optional)
- Baking tray
Ingredients for filling.
- cooking oil
- Minced meat
- All-purpose seasoning
- Maggi cube / Onga cube
- Green pepper
- Tomato puree
- Corn beef (optional)
Ingredients for the pastry.
- All purpose flour
- Margarine or butter
- Nutmeg (powdered)
- Cold water
- Milk (optional)
Steps to prepare your meat pie.
Making the filling
- Pour a little amount of cooking oil into saucepan and place over medium heat
- Chop onions and green pepper and set aside
- Add the minced meat and onions and cook under medium heat until golden brown.
- Stir in between for consistency
- Add tomato puree and cook for 3 minutes
- Stir and add spices, maggi/onga cube and salt to taste.
- Add chopped green peppers and corned beef and stir
- Remove fire and allow it to cool
We are done cooking our meat pie filling. Now let us go to how to make the pastry.
Making the pastry
- Pour flour into a large bowl and add a reasonable amount of salt and nutmeg
- Add margarine/butter and using your fingers, mix the butter into the flour making sure it forms a dough
- If the dough is too dry, add a little amount of cold water. this helps the mixture to stick together. Do not use too much water.
- Knead the dough
- Crack and pour the egg into a bowl and beat it. Set aside.
- Dust a flat surface with flour and roll a handful of the dough onto the surface
- Using a knife cut dough into circular shapes. You can use a round bowl to get perfectly shaped circles.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop/fetch some of the fillings into the centre of the round cuts. do not overfill so that you can comfortably close the dough without overflows.
- Using a brush, rub the beaten egg on the inside edge of the round dough. This will prevent the meat pie from opening up during baking
- Fold one end of the dough to meet the other end.
- Use a fork or hand to press the two edges together and close tightly
- Place the unbaked meat pie on a baking tray dusted with baking powder
- Brush the surface of the meat pies with more of the beaten eggs or milk
- Preheat oven
- Place the unbaked pie into the oven
- Bake the pies until they turn golden brown colour on the surface. This will usually take about 30 minutes.
- Remove the meat pies from the oven
NB: Others prefer to fry the meat pie whiles others prefer to use a microwave to bake.
Serve the Ghana meat pie with chilled coke or ice kenkey.
Leave a comment below.